Sunday, September 12, 2010

the creative soul

I am a creative person.  I'm not extraordinarily creative but I am a creative person.  The older I have gotten the more I have come to accept my creative nature as neccessary for my soul's survival.  I found this marvelous quote by Pearl S. Buck.  He speaks truth that I understand.

"The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally, inhumanely sensitive. To them... a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death.
Add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create -- so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, their very breath is cut off...
They must create, must pour out creation. By some strange, unknown, inward urgency they are not really alive unless they are creating.
"
-Pearl S. Buck

....By some strange, unknown, inward urgency they are not really alive unless they are creating."  I adore this line!  To me, my creativity, such as it is...is an inherited trait from my Father in Heaven, my God...the great creator.  He created everything that we see, everything that we touch, breathe, hear, know....   God is creative and he gifted us with creativity, so we must use it in whatever form it comes to us...

Many times I have pondered those who create out of hardship.  I think about the pioneer's who crossed the plains of this great nation, who lost loved ones and toiled hard on the land, who made quilts out of seed sacks.  I think of the slaves living on the East Coast, illegally de-humainzed and yet expressing their humanity and JOY for life through simple yet poignant crafts and music.  I marvel at the simple power of persevering by creating....when we create we are not giving up we are moving on....perhaps I ramble...well, definitely I ramble.

All of us have that touch of creativity.  Mine comes out in giant spurts of thoughts and projects, of paper and paint, of organizing ideas and organizing people, through music!.  My daughter expresses hers through her hair cuts and hair dye, through music and paint and clay.  How do you access your creativity?

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful sentiments. Thank you for sharing. I personally love your creativity and the fact that you share it with others!
    Pearl Buck is a she..just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My spurts of creativity tend to take form in digital design (layouts, etc), but I would LOVE to learn how to paint--not just painting walls (although I think that's fun, too) but I would love to learn how to paint with oil or watercolor on a canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My creativity is expressed throught my love of planting there is nothing more beautiful to me than well thought out garden. I also express it through sewing and lately decorating. I also enjoy finding the beauty in nature!

    ReplyDelete

Like what I said? leave a message
dislike what I said? please don't leave a message
indifferent to what I said? It's up to you
Have a different opinion? Share it!