Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pico De Gallo

Gee, I sure hope I spelled the title correctly.
this is one of those posts that I'm mostly doing so that I remember.

Our tomatoes this year are yummy! This year I'm not ready to can our surplus so I tried to think of a favorite option. My answer was pico de gallo. I found a recipe to make pico de gallo (peeko-de-guy-Oh)several years ago and I make it each summer. It's always a huge hit. I tinkered with the recipe and made my own variation. The pico can be frozen although I don't know for how long since we always eat it so fast. We love to eat pico de gallo over top of spice fish or salmon, personally, I like it with poached eggs.

Here's my recipe: for future reference
4-6 small early girl tomatoes or 2-3 larger table sized tomatoes- chopped in nice big pieces
1/2 cup white onion (or even a walla walla sweet)- diced
1/2 cup red onion- diced
1 small jalapeno or 1/2 of a large (I like to scrape the seeds out of one half, and leave the seeds to the other half)- finely dice
3-4 garlic cloves (to taste) finely chopped
1/2 cup diced cilantro
1 tsp salt (optional)
3 tbs sugar (or splenda- optional)

Mix everything together and then let the pico sit for at leaste 2-3 hours, best after 24 hours....This recipe is so fantastic with a little black beans and salmon...yummmmmmm!

P.S. I'd like to show a picture but the pico I just made is already gone. Hopefully more tomatoes turn red soon so that I can make some more.

P.P.S....you can use canned/drained diced tomatoes. but it's not as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I said? leave a message
dislike what I said? please don't leave a message
indifferent to what I said? It's up to you
Have a different opinion? Share it!