Tuesday, April 6, 2010

How do you deal with your stress?

how do you deal with stress?

I make bread. (probably one of the reasons that I've stopped loosing weight). Today was one of those nasty, frustrating, no good days. So, I made bread. Naan to be precise. Naan is an Indian/Pakistani grilled bread. My recipe is not particularly accurate (I don't think...) has a little too much sugar and yeast...but, it's fun to make. When I have a bad day it's helpful to find something to pound on. Today while kneading the bread dough I kept hearing the Michale Jackson song "beat it" reverberating through my head. Maybe I should take up boxing? or kick boxing??

in 1 cup warm water dissolve 2 tsp. yeast and 4 tb. white sugar. Proof until frothy (about 10 minutes).
Mix together 1 beaten egg, 3 tbs. milk, 2 tsp. salt & yeast mixture. slowly mix by hand or mixer with a bread kneading thingy (descriptive, huh) 4 1/2 cups. flour, 1 cup at a time until all is blended together and dough is soft. Knead for 6-8 minutes (this is where the pounding comes in beautifully:). Allow to rise until dough has doubled in volume (about an hour). Punch down dough. At this stage if you like you can add 2 tsp. minced garlic. knead again. Pinch off small amounts of the dough and roll into golf ball sized balls. allow to rise again.


Pre-heat grill to high. brush grill with oil. flatten each 'ball' and place on the grill. cook about 10 minutes and then flip. brush with butter if you like and cook an additional 10 minutes. flatten the bread as you go so that it cooks evenly.

Yummy with soup.

3 comments:

  1. ooo, that does look yummy! I havn't tried to make Nan yet but you have inspired me...might substitute some things for Alton and see how it tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say kick boxing is a great way to stay in shape!

    Looks tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  3. bread making is a good stress reliever. My husband makes a lot of breads. I'll see what I can do about the gun sleeve pattern. Glad to hear that you could make use of it!

    ReplyDelete

Like what I said? leave a message
dislike what I said? please don't leave a message
indifferent to what I said? It's up to you
Have a different opinion? Share it!