Sunday, May 10, 2009

I cried

Happy Mother's day!! Bittersweet day, as always.

So, I made my mother a mother's day gift this year. The driving influence for my becoming a Heritage Maker was to create a book about my deceased brother Richard. Almost immediately upon signing up I e-mailed my mother and asked her to send me Richard's pictures. They arrived very quickly and I eagerly opened the package and began to cry. I put away the pictures and left them there for the last 6 months. On Friday my husband and daughter went away for a Youth beach trip and I decided I was finally ready to scan those pictures for my mother. It was such an intense experience. Every picture brought up memories that I had almost forgotten and some that I'd actively tried to forget. I cried and I cried and when I was done I knew that I had to make a book for my mother. I titled it "I Remember Richard Allan Feinauer". I still intend to write a life story book but for now this satisfied a need to present and preserve my brother Richard. I'm writing about this because it re-enforces for me the need to preserve our stories and our pictures. Things we think we will remember forever we forget and people we think will always be part of our lives might only be here for a short time. It's all too precious to loose. I have to say that I'm greatful that Heritage Makers has so many wonderful designers who allow us to borrow their ideas and make them their own. I was too overwhelmed by the subject to get overly creative and so I used a template by a wonderful designer named Melodie Jones. My gratitude to her. http://www.heritagemakers.com/?event=projectBrowse&projectId=dcf3aa79-58d1-42b8-97ea-b9de9c30ee4e&productId=3&projectSponsor=318864

5 comments:

  1. Hope,
    The book is so beautiful, a wonderful tribute to Richard!! I cried too, so many feelings that I thought had been overcome. Thanks so much for perserving our brother and his memories!!
    P.S. I love the new background!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the suggestions on the background. It's fun to play around...me and my short attention span.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the amazing book. I still couldn't have done it myself and it captures so beautifully our Richard. I always miss him.
    I've thought of putting it on my blog for all to see but I don't know how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope, I really think this is a great book! It captures who he was without having to get into the "nitty gritty" that's always so hard to get into! Logan liked it to, because it showed him things he'd never seen and allowed him to ask questions without getting too much into the hard stuff. I can't wait to see the book in print! Thanks for making it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the book you made about your brother Richard was so touching...so thoughtful. it is as Christy said,a wonderful tribute to your your brother

    ReplyDelete

Like what I said? leave a message
dislike what I said? please don't leave a message
indifferent to what I said? It's up to you
Have a different opinion? Share it!