Saturday, October 24, 2009

music of my life

Lately, I've been contemplating the effect of music on my life. Peekaboo has been experimenting with her music likes and dislikes and we've been having some of the stereotypical parent/teen interactions regarding her music choices. She thinks I just 'don't get it' and I get it and don't like it. I remember my early teen years and cringe. most of my music choices weren't too bad but I know that they were a surprise to my parents (sorry mom!) on a number of occasions. The main difference between me and my daughter is that I listened to my music mainly in my room whereas my daughter turns on the 'radio' while using my computer (the radio's on the internet) or changes the radio station in the car when I run into the store on a quick errand. So, it's not just about music choices it's a power clash over who chooses the music in our home. So, this has gotten me thinking about the power of good music in our home. When we listen to hymns we invite the spirit of God into our home, when we listen to 'classical' music we can increase the positive energy in our home or soothe our souls depending on the composition. Personal choices to have music lyrics of love and sweetness leave that love and sweetness behind, lyrics of empowerment empower and lyrics that degrade, degrade all who hear them and leave a slimy feeling behind. Personally I've always enjoyed music that has good harmony to it (Simon & Garfunkle ROCK!) or music with a positive and uplifting message to it. I decided to write a list with my 10 most influential songs in my life. It's an interesting list. I encourage you to do the same. It says a lot about us as individuals. Here's mine.

1) I am a child of God
2) Bridge over troubled water (Simon & Garfunkle)
3) My Father's eyes (Amy Grant)
4) Love, Me (Colin Ray)
5) From this moment (Shania Twain)
6) I love the way you love me (John Michael Montgomery)
7) It's my life (Bon Jovi)
8) Unanswered Prayers (Garth Brook)
9) The only Promise that remains (reba McIntyre)
10) Dream Big (Ryan Shuppe & the Rubber Band)

1 comment:

  1. oooo, love those songs too! I have a few posts to write but I will write one about the songs I love!!

    ReplyDelete

Like what I said? leave a message
dislike what I said? please don't leave a message
indifferent to what I said? It's up to you
Have a different opinion? Share it!